A cross connection is defined as a connection or potential connection between any part of a water supply system and another environment containing substances in a manner that, under any circumstance, would allow the substances to enter the water supply system by means of back siphonage or back pressure.
The City of Manitowoc has amended the Municipal Code to coincide with this change. Please note that beginning April 18, 2011, all non-residential customers are required to have their plumbing inspected for cross connection compliance (CCC) at their own expense. A copy of the amended ordinance, MC 17.105, is available on the City of Manitowoc’s website, www.manitowoc.org or at the Building Inspection Department, 900 Quay Street, Manitowoc.
Based on a cursory review of the property, the determined CCC inspection frequency will be either every 1, 2, 6, or 10 years. Please have a Wisconsin-Certified Cross Connection Control Device Tester, ASSE Series 5000 Cross Connection Control Professional or a State of Wisconsin Licensed Master Plumber of choice complete the CCC inspection and return the attached Inspection Form and Affidavit of Compliance to the City of Manitowoc Building Inspection Department, 900 Quay Street, Manitowoc, WI 54220.
For determination of frequency or usage classification questions, please contact the Building Inspections Department at (920) 686-6940. The City of Manitowoc and MPU reserves the right to request an inspection at the time of a change of facility use, additions, remodeling or reconstruction. It is very important to communicate to all parties if there are changes in the facility use and potential classifications.
After the initial certification and frequency is determined, recertification notices will be provided in the following manner:
- Six months prior to the next test due date, notification will be sent to the current MPU billing occupant.
- Three months prior to the next test due date, notification will be sent to the current MPU billing occupant and owner of record.
- Five week prior to the next test due date, notification will be sent to the current MPU billing occupant.
- Ten days prior to the next test due date, an intent to disconnect for non-compliance will be sent to the current MPU billing occupant and owner of record. If the occupant and owner do not reside at the address for recertification, the physical location will also be served notice.
- Prior to disconnection, a site visit will be completed by MPU personnel.
Inspections may be completed up to 90 days prior to next test date to fulfill the requirement for the next testing period.