MPU is pleased to offer a Lead Service Line (LSL) Loan Program to promote the replacement of LSLs serving properties in the City of Manitowoc!
MPU recognizes the financial burden of replacing the customer-owned private LSLs between the water main and the home. The costs to replace these lines typically range from $3,500-$6,000. In late 2018, MPU filed a request with the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin (PSCW) to create a LSL replacement loan program to assist our customers with these unplanned expenses. The PSCW approved the program and tariff in late 2019. The following are details of this new program:
- MPU will allocate up to $600,000 in LSL loans to eligible LSL properties in the first two years of this program, which will subsequently become a revolving loan program.
- Properties which replace their complete lead service line are eligible to apply for a loan from MPU.
- Eligible LSL loan costs include construction related to replacing the lead service line between the water main and the water meter (not including landscaping).
- MPU shall offer 100% financial assistance in the form of a loan up to a maximum of $6,000 at an interest rate of 2.5% for a term of 10 years. The interest rates will be reviewed every two years and adjusted based on the borrowing rate.
- Repayment of the LSL loan shall become due when the home is sold or no longer the homeowner's primary residence.
Applications for the upcoming loan funding year are due by November 15 annually. By May 31 annually, MPU will prioritize the received applications and award loans to the eligible LSL properties, up to the maximum annual LSL loan amount. Properties with a leaking LSL or other unplanned LSL replacements are permitted to submit an application outside of the above deadlines, for consideration.
To request an application for the program, please contact 920-683-4600.