LED lighting is safe, sturdy, and incredibly energy-efficient. Read the full article to find out more!
LED—A New Kind of Light
Light emitting diodes, or LEDs, offer better light quality than incandescent bulbs, last 25 times as long, and use even less energy than compact fluorescent bulbs. Look for ENERGY STAR qualified LED products at home improvement centers and lighting showrooms.
LED bulbs are currently available in many products such as replacements for 40W and 60W traditional incandescents, reflector bulbs often used in recessed fixtures, and small track lights. While LEDs are more expensive at this early stage, they still save money because they last a long time and have very low energy use. As with other electronics, prices are expected to come down as more products enter the market.
There are a variety of advantages to using ENERGY STAR® qualified LED lighting technology compared to standard incandescent lights. ENERGY STAR qualified LED lights are:
- More energy efficient. LED holiday lights use up to 90 percent less energy than standard mini lights and up to 99 percent less energy than standard C-7 holiday lights.
- Longer lasting. LED lights can last up to 200,000 hours when used indoors, and some manufacturers also provide a five-year warranty.
- More convenient. LED holiday lights are available in 35 to 100-bulb strings in a variety of colors. If a bulb burns out, the other bulbs will stay lit so bad bulbs can easily be replaced.
- Safer. LED lights produce almost no radiant heat and don't have the same components that cause traditional lights to burn out or combust.
- Sturdier. These bulbs won't break. In fact the casing for the diode is solid plastic so it's almost impossible to break.
For more information on energy-efficient lighting and many other energy-saving ideas for your home, please visit https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/energy-saver.